Wednesday 21 November 2007

View from Abroad: The Best of Cenla

View from Abroad: The Best of Cenla

In a couple of weeks I'll be flying home to Alexandria for the first time in nearly two years. As I prepare for this trip I find myself excited about access to certain things I can't get here like candy canes, Barq's Rootbeer, Golden Flake chips, and homemade sweet pickles (drool). At the same time, I realize that no matter where I've lived or traveled (which by now includes about 2/3 of US states and a pretty good list of countries), there are certain things in Cenla that I have never seen beaten anywhere. So here's my list driven by hunger pangs from abroad for the things in Cenla that I have found to be the best -- anywhere:

Part I:

Bangkok Restaurant
- Twice-cooked Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Lo-mein

I've been a fan of Bangkok since I was in high school. This was one of the first asian buffets I ever at at. Back then it was located in the old Howard Johnson's restaurant on MacArthur Dr. To this day I have yet to find anyone who does their three specialties better. The staff is always friendly and knows who their customers are. For a restaurant of this small size to do the volume they do and still keep the quality and flavour so high is really feat.

Their twice-cooked chicken is a delicate dish with tender batter-fried chicken cooked in a sauce with peppers, onions, carrots, and broccoli. You find it elsewhere with names such as Tiny Spicy Chicken or House Specialty Chicken but Bangkok's twice-cooked is by far the acme of perfection in this dish. If only General Tso had eaten at Bangkok, buffets around the country would have a completely different star. A serving of Bangkok Lo-mein makes a great base for this dish.

I learned of Bangkok's rendition of Sesame Chicken from my brother who after years of prodding me to deny my lust for twice-cooked chicken finally convinced me to try this dish. He was certainly right that this is no ordinary Chinese fare. Bangkok's unique take on this asian standard results in a chewy yet crunchy delight coated in a rich caramelized sauce and coated with sesame seeds. It's sweet, spicy, salty and rich flavour is true treat and not like any I've encountered elsewhere. Try it with white rice for a fun and filling meal.

Finally, even though it's not a specialty, Bangkok has by far one of the best Lo-mein dishes I have ever found. These are no ordinary fried noodles with a bit of soy sauce and vegetables. Bangkok sticks to traditions that so many asian restaurants have abandoned, using the proper noodles (NOT spaghetti), slowly cooking them with sauces and spices and the right blend of vegetables to produce a creamy noodle dish that it balanced and full of flavour. It makes a great meal in itself, or the perfect accompaniment to their other great treats.

Bangkok is located in Alexandria. They serve a very affordable lunch buffet as well as a dinner buffet some nights. They also have a full menu that combines the best of Thai and Chinese cuisine into a unique palate of eastern treats. Pick up is also available.

Bangkok Restaurant
(318) 449-1950

more to come later folks....please check back!

Part II: Critic's Choice Sandwich Deli and their amazing Philly Cheese Steaks

Part III: Shipley's Donuts - still one of the best reasons to get up for church!

No comments: